Monday, December 4, 2017

Heresy Era Sons of Horus - Horus nearing completion!

Ended up getting a fair bit of brush time in on Sunday afternoon and after work today, and got to what I'm thinking will be the penultimate session. One more good push and I should be able to carry him to the finish line!


Added some subtle oranges and reds to the undersides of Horus's face, and gave the interior of the armor the same treatment. Then came the nerve-wracking installation of the head. Decided on the 'looking out over his forces' facing rather than down the haft of worldbreaker, as the OSL looked a little better in this facing.


I like to take a picture near the end like this (though I don't always post them) as it helps me step back from the model and really take stock of what remains to be done before sealing. I need to give all the metals and the cloak a further wash and highlight, as well as do a little cleanup here and there, paint the base rims, etc.


Overall I'm really happy with how he's coming along, the model has been an absolute joy to paint and I'm looking forward to getting a family photo with him surrounded by the rest of the Sons of Horus!

13 comments:

  1. I like how you got that green onto the underside of the red cloak - really helps ie him back into both the Justaerian and the other Sons.

    Lovely work on the face and OSL - I was way too nervous of ruining him to do that on mine. One day i might pluck up the nerve and revisit him to give him a slight glow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely done. You stepped it up quite a bit on this model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Frothing Muppet: Thanks man! It was totally nervewracking - The whole time all I had running through my head was "don't screw it up, don't screw it up, don't screw it up..." :D

    @John Stiening: Cheers! Really wanted to take my time and give him the attention he deserves as both a beautiful sculpt and a centerpiece model for the force. Of course, if I spent 20+ hours on every model I'd never get an army finished! ;)

    @Da Masta Cheef: Thanks! It was a lot of fun to paint up, took the shading and drybrushing beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on a fabulous model! Congratulations on your results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Solid work, the pelt is a really nicely done too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that is the best face you have done chief, bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Dave Mary: Thanks very much!

    @Zab: Cheers bud, it's been a blast to work on once I got over my initial trepidation!

    @Rory Priest: I appreciate it! I spent a ton of time getting it just right, glad to hear it was time well spent!

    Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work. A wonderful centerpiece for the army.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow mate, you've really outdone yerself here. Outstanding effort all around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colour of the cloak linking it back to the Sons of Horus armour and amazing job with the staircase marble rock effect. Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Mark: Thanks very much, man!

    @Dai: Cheers bud! Really happy with it, but man was it a lot of work!

    @Siph_Horridus: I appreciate it! The base is a great bit of sculpting, was just as fun to paint as the big man himself.

    @Zzzzzz: Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete